Yes, you can delete a Google Gmail account and all the messages in it. And yes, you can do that and still keep your Google, YouTube, etc. accounts!
Maybe you have one Gmail account too many, or tried it out and prefer the service you were using before, or maybe you're ready to ditch email altogether! Good luck with that one if so.
The process isn't hard. You'll just be asked to click numerous times, of course, and for your password, too. Still, closing your Gmail account and deleting the mail in it is a pretty straightforward a task.
How to Delete Your Gmail Account?
Here's what to do to cancel Gmail account and delete the associated Gmail address:
· Go to Google Account Settings.
· Select Data & Personalization.
· Click Delete a service or your account.
· Then choose Delete a service on the next page as well.
· You'll be prompted to sign into your account.
· On the next page you can choose the service you would like to delete. If you want to delete a Gmail account, click the trashcan icon (🗑) next to Gmail.
· Enter an email address different from the address associated with the Gmail account you are closing under Enter an email address in the How you'll sign in to Google dialog box.
· Click Send Verification Email.
· Open the email from Google (email@example.com) with the subject "Security alert for your linked Google account" or "Gmail Deletion Confirmation".
· Follow the deletion link in the message.
· If prompted, log in to the Gmail account you are deleting.
· Under Confirm Gmail Deletion Select Yes, I want to delete firstname.lastname@example.org permanently from my Google Account.
· Click Delete Gmail.
What Happens to Emails in the Deleted Gmail Account?
The messages will be deleted permanently. You will no longer be able to access them in Gmail.
If you downloaded a copy, either using Google Takeout or using an email program, you can still use these messages, of course.
What Happens to Emails Sent to My Deleted Gmail Address?
People who mail your old Gmail address will receive back a delivery failure message. You might want to announce a new or alternate old address to the contacts you care most about.